Do Jet Ski Owners Need Boat Insurance?

If you are planning to enjoy water activities on a jet ski, you will need to learn more about the available insurance options to protect you and the others who may be out on the water too. Jet skis pose a higher risk of accidents, which is why having insurance in place is crucial.

Jet Ski Insurance

If you currently own or plan to own a jet ski, you will need to obtain special recreational insurance. Regular boat insurance isn’t designed for jet skis. Recreational insurance covers several different types of craft ranging from four-wheelers to wave runners and jet skis. Before settling on a policy, you should work with an insurance agent to find a policy that is reliable and fits your needs. You want to make sure that you have adequate coverage to help prevent losses as a result of a covered event so you can enjoy your time on the water without having to worry.

Finding A Policy

Start your search for the right insurance with the assistance of a skilled insurance agent. If you are living near the Marietta, GA area, you can turn to LG Insurance Group to help you make sense of which types of insurance you need, and what level of coverage is necessary to protect you. They can work closely with customers to help find the right policy, submit documentation, and even help with a claim. 

There are risks when you are on a jet ski, which is why having the right protection is important. Those who live around the Marietta, GA area should call or stop by LG Insurance Group to speak with an agent today. 

Tips for Avoiding Water Loss in your Home

Did you know that water damage is the second most frequently filed loss experienced by homeowners and renters each year? (according to the Insurance Information Institute)  The infographic below, provided by Safeco, can help you understand the risks, offer prevention tips and share the resources you may need if a water loss occurs. 

Does a small fishing boat need insurance?

If you just bought a small fishing boat to take around the lakes and rivers surrounding Marietta, GA, you’re probably wondering if you need to call LG Insurance Group and get a policy on your new ride.

The short answer is: You might not. It depends on how small of a boat we’re talking here, of course. Essentially the question you need to consider is whether or not it could do any damage in an accident, and what you stand to lose if something happens to it. If you’re just rowing a little two hundred dollar inflatable raft, then there’s not much reason to worry about getting it insured. You’re not hitting any speeds that will hurt other boats in an accident or damage a pier or anything.

You may want to think about liability coverage if you’re taking other people out in your boat, but standard boat insurance is there to cover a boat in the same way auto insurance covers your car. If you can afford to repair or fix your boat out of pocket and it doesn’t have a motor in it, then there’s not much that can go wrong that will demand insurance.

But, you need to be honest with yourself here. If you spent a pretty penny on your boat, if it’s motorized, then you need to do yourself a favor and call LG Insurance Group and get covered. No matter how safe you are at piloting your boat, you never know what can happen on your next voyage, so be prepared for whatever may come your way as you explore the waters of Marietta, GA.

How to Get a Boating License in Georgia

In Georgia, you are not actually required to get a boating license, but you will need what’s known as a Boater Education Card. If you own a boat, you’ll need to have it registered as well. The LG Insurance Group in Marietta, GA has details regarding information about your boat, so you can be safe when you go out on the water this summer.

Qualifications for a Boat

If you were born after January 1998, you will need to take the boater safety course in order to operate a watercraft in Georgia. There are a few exemptions.

  • Licensed U.S. Coast Guard
  • Boating on a private lake
  • Non-residents with a completed education course form from the National Association of State Boating Law Administration (NASBLA)

Rules and Regulations for Boaters

Everyone over the age of 12 who wants to operate a water vessel in Georgia must have a Boater Education Card from the Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

There are a few restrictions for those under the age of 12:

  • Cannot operate boats larger than 16 feet
  • Must have adult supervision if the boat is less than 16 feet without a motor or is less than 30 horsepower

For those boaters who are between the ages of 12 and 15:

  • You are authorized to operate boats that are less than 16 feet if:
    • You completed the boater safety course.
    • You are supervised by an adult.

If you are 16 or older:

  • You can operate any watercraft if you have proper identification, AND
  • You have completed the boater safety course

Getting a Boater Education Card

To receive a Boater Education Card, you must participate and pass an approved boater’s safety course. You can take courses with the:

  • U.S. Coast Guard
  • Department of Natural Resources
  • U.S. Power Squadrons
  • An approved online course

In Marietta, GA, the LG Insurance Group has professional agents that can help you navigate your responsibilities as a boater, including maintaining insurance for your boat.

Is Water Backup covered by my Homeowner’s Policy?

Water and Sewer Backup coverage is one of the more important optional coverages that you should consider adding to your homeowner’s insurance policy.  The infographic below shows how some common water losses are handled by Safeco Insurance.  It details how certain water (backup) losses are handled by their base homeowner’s policy, an optional endorsement for Water/Sewer Backup, or excluded entirely.  While you always need to check your specific policy and insurer, these examples are common across many carriers.